How to hyperlink in Gmail on desktop or mobile
- You can easily hyperlink in your Gmail drafts by clicking on the hyperlink button or using the CTRL (or COMMAND) + K option on your desktop.
- While there are no such shortcuts on the mobile app, there is a workaround to achieve the same result.
- Hyper text is an easy way to attach websites to your emails without having to include the entire web address. It makes emails cleaner.
- Visit the Business Insider homepage for more stories.
Whether you’re adding a link to a restaurant suggestion, photo album, or article, it’s easy to hyperlink in a Gmail draft on your Mac or PC. While there isn’t a simple shortcut on the mobile app, it is still possible to achieve this, although it does require a workaround.
Hyperlink text is useful for both sender and recipient, and makes emails look cleaner. The process is certainly easier on your desktop, where you can click the hyperlink icon or use the keyboard shortcut CTRL + K on a PC, or COMMAND + K on a Mac.
On the mobile app, you will need to copy and paste the full link first and then type in the text you want to hyperlink to. Once that’s typed in the link, delete the rest of the text around it until it’s just that left.
Here’s how to do it.
Discover the products mentioned in this article:
MacBook Pro (from $ 1,299.99 at Best Buy)
Microsoft Surface Pro 7 (from $ 699.99 at Best Buy)
iPhone 11 (from $ 699.99 at Best Buy)
Samsung Galaxy S10 (from $ 899.99 at Best Buy)
How to create a hyperlink in Gmail on a computer
1. Open Gmail on the browser of your choice.
2. Start composing a new message by clicking on the “Compose” button. Type your message, then highlight the word or words you want to hyperlink.
3. Click on the hyperlink symbol to open a pop-up window; it’s the chain symbol to the left of the attachment icon in the window’s lower toolbar.
You can also use the keyboard shortcut CTRL + K on a PC, or COMMAND + K on a Mac.
4. Edit the text to display if necessary, then copy and paste a web address into the empty field. Once you’ve pasted it, you can test the link by clicking on the appropriate option.
5. Click “OK” when you are done.
This will change the text you selected to a hyperlink. You can do this with as many words or phrases as you want.
How to create a hyperlink in Gmail on a mobile device
1. Open the Gmail app on your phone and start composing a new message.
2. Copy and paste the link you want to hyperlink to somewhere in the draft. It won’t appear blue at first, so you’ll need to press the “X” to close and save as a draft first. Reopen the draft and it will appear in blue.
3. Start typing the text you want to display somewhere in the active link. It can be anywhere, as long as it appears in blue.
4. Once you’re done typing the word or phrase, delete all of the text around it until there’s nothing left.
5. Copy and paste this in the appropriate paragraph if it isn’t there already.